Subject: bug#61453: It is annoying to have to type 'print foo' before each .gdbinit command.

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 18:23:36 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Sun, Feb 12, 2023 at 18:37:22 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 16:14:49 +0000
> > Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>

> > > How will this help?  You will ask people to deliberately remove any
> > > delimiters from what they type?  That's a terrible annoyance.  It
> > > means, for example, that you cannot simply copy/paste code fragments.

> > It seems that the same problem exists with pp.

> Which is why we also have "pr".

OK, but that doesn't help with the annoyance in xpr and friends.
Anybody typing an expression with spaces into xpr can continue to use
print followed by xpr without arguments.  For the usual case, when
there's exactly one argument, my patch resolves the annoyance.  It now
handles the $argc > 1 case as an error.

So, why not install this patch in master, now?

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).