Subject: bug#61447: Redump script causes an abort on emacs 29.0.60

From: Lynn Winebarger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2025 17:16:40 -0500

On Sun, Feb 12, 2023 at 7:40 PM Lynn Winebarger <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Attached is a very similar script for redumping a maximal load of core
> emacs libraries under 28.2.  It works without any issue, with the same
> configuration flags used for 30.0.50 and 29.0.60.
> I'm writing a script to generate these redumping programs.  The
> differences in the steps to generate these programs between versions
> is (or should be) de minimis.  The list of excluded libraries is
> generated from (a) the list of features from
> provide-post-init-features, (b) the list of pre-loaded files in the
> baseline dump file created by the emacs build process, (c)
> incompatible libraries (i.e w32 and dos libraries on a linux system),
> and (d) anything in the term or obsolete subdirectories, and any
> library with "viper" in the name (due to its annoying startup
> behavior).  Otherwise the list of files is generated by identified all
> ".elc" files in the lisp subdirectory, so there is some variation from
> version to version expected.
>
> On Sun, Feb 12, 2023 at 9:01 AM Lynn Winebarger <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > The same redumping script I submitted for 30.0.50 causes an abort
> > signal on 29.0.60, built with same configure options as 30.0.50 in the
> > report.  emacs --version reports:
> > GNU Emacs 29.0.60
> > Development version d4fc70129786 on emacs-29 branch; build date 2023-02-12.
> > Copyright (C) 2023 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> > GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> > You may redistribute copies of GNU Emacs
> > under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
> > For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING

The issues in this bug appeared to be driven by incompleteness with
respect to tree-sitter compiled queries and interval trees in overlays
(almost 2 years ago).  I noticed that
https://github.com/emacs-mirror/emacs/commit/1eca867e1b60acef7f4343bc5c70340de58f1079
addressing https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=69952
appears to address the issue with tree-sitter compiled queries.
Has the issue with dumping overlays also been fixed?  I notice
https://github.com/emacs-mirror/emacs/commit/e7109dfd9c15312d20582efdde8c929c9a65282a,
but there's no bug report cited so I don't know if there's a specific
observable behavior that's been addressed.  It sure looks like it
could cause an issue, though.
CC'ing the committers associated with the above.

Thanks,
Lynn
.