Subject: bug#6144: 23.2; unzip arguments quoting

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 05:10:15 +0400

When I tried to open any zip or jar archive in dired and view contents 
of any file
inside, Emacs just writes "caution: filename not matched: "<internal path>".
An investigation with Process Explorer Monitor has led me to believe 
that Emacs
launches the unzip executable with parameters -qq -c "<filename>"
"\"<internal path>\"", and the extra escaped quotes in the last 
parameter are
the source of the problem.

Replacing

"(if (equal (car archive-zip-extract) "unzip")
      (shell-quote-argument name)
        name)"

with "name"

in arc-mode.el and recompiling the file solved the problem.

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600)
  of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags 
-Ic:/xpm/include'

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: RUS
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: cp1251
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x d i r e d <return> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> g : \ d o w n <tab> m i r a
n <tab> <tab> <return> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <return>
<down> <down> <up> <up> <down> <return> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> C-x C-s a s d C-x C-s a s d
a s d C-x C-c <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> C-g M-x r e p o r t - e m a
c s - b u g <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...
Parsing archive file...done.
(No changes need to be saved)
Saving file g:/Downloads/Miranda 
IM/historyppbn.zip:docs/hpp_changelog.txt...
Updating archive...
apply: Searching for program: no such file or directory, zip
Type C-h for help. [2 times]
Quit

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc
time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock sha1
hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug arc-mode archive-mode help-mode
easymenu view dired regexp-opt tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)