Subject: [bug#61434] [PATCH] gnu: Add emacs-pasp-mode.

From: Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 19:55:48 +0100

Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:

>> This dance is not necessary. You can simply use
>> `emacs-substitute-variables', change the value, and keep the
>> defcustom.  A defconst is not a constant in Elisp anyway.
> A defconst does raise a warning if it's changed, so I'd rather do
> that.

It seems that you are trying to fix a design issue without any serious
usability consequence (who is going to set this variable anyway? Why
would it matter to us?). I believe this kind of fix is out of the scope
of a package definition.

Besides, it makes the definition less readable, to say the least. The
regexp itself is appalling (not that you can do much about it, of
course).

If you really insist of changing this defcustom, maybe 1. search forward
for "defcustom pasp-mode-version" 2. kill next regexp 3. insert
"#$version" 4. search backward for "defcustom", 5. replace match with
"defconst". It would still be awful (no serious regexp), but possibly
slightly less so.