Subject: Re: bug#6143: 24.0.50; don't ispell-kill-ispell over and over

From: Agustin Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 13:05:07 +0200

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 10:28:26AM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > I am thinking about two possible approaches, one is a compromise, minibuffer
> > is somewhat special, so ispell process directory could be set to $HOME only
> > when spellchecking minibuffer, and name of buffer where ispell process is
> 
> How about associating ispell processes with default-directories rather
> than just with buffers?  I.e. share ispell processes between buffers
> that share default-directory.  

That is current behavior unless buffers use different languages for
spellchecking or have a set of localwords defined (which may be different
for different buffers, needing process restart).

> And use $HOME whenever possible
> (i.e. when we can determine that there's no local dictionary in
> default-directory).

Doing this without the kill-ispell-on-kill-buffer machinery may still leave
some corner cases. 

Noticed that this dual personal dictionary behavior seems to be an ispell
only feature. If properly handling this is causing more harm than good, it
may even be dropped by forcing ispell-process-directory to always be $HOME.  

Anyway, I have commited a possible fix for jidanni's problem, making
parent-dir 'owner' of ispell process in a minibuffer'. Hope this fixes the
problem.

Closing bug report,

-- 
Agustin