Subject: bug#61413: [PATCH] Make warnings show a "warning" emoji instead of a stop-sign

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2025 08:24:17 +0100

Rudolf Adamkovič <[email-masked]> writes:

> Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]> writes:
>  
>> Thought it bore mention since the present report is about bikeshedding
>> the graphical representation of the warnings-suppress icon, whereas
>> Rudolf's reply suggests - to me - a wider wish to be able to opt out of
>> these representations: this is already solved.
>
> I apologize for not communicating more clearly.  What I meant is the
> following.  While, I can opt out of the "emoji representation", I think
> Emacs should always default to standard, discoverable, and accessible
> controls.
>
> Say we sampled a group of 10 users, how many of them would know, without
> further UI exploration, that the emoji is a button and what it does?  If
> fewer than 10, then we should ask, "why are we doing this" and stop.

I don't know that I find "without further UI exploration" a useful
condition: because of that help-echo bug, *no* amount of UI exploration
can answer the question "what's this do?" anyway.

So while I do find the current warnings-suppress emoji less-than-ideal
aesthetically (as Stefan suggests, a theme-compliant SVG would look
better¹), I remain convinced that the primary *functional* problem here
is that help-echo bug.

(Which I sent patches for earlier²; however, since no-one commented on
those AFAICT, I suppose I am in the minority in considering this an
immediate and obvious bug that needs addressing)

¹ Which we do use, when we find SVGs we find "good enough" for the job -
see icons defined in e.g. tab-bar.el, tab-line.el, auth-source.el.

¹ https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=61413#39