Subject: bug#61413: [PATCH] Make warnings show a "warning" emoji instead of a stop-sign

From: Rudolf Adamkovič <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2025 01:20:24 +0100

Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]> writes:
 
> Thought it bore mention since the present report is about bikeshedding
> the graphical representation of the warnings-suppress icon, whereas
> Rudolf's reply suggests - to me - a wider wish to be able to opt out of
> these representations: this is already solved.

I apologize for not communicating more clearly.  What I meant is the
following.  While, I can opt out of the "emoji representation", I think
Emacs should always default to standard, discoverable, and accessible
controls.

Say we sampled a group of 10 users, how many of them would know, without
further UI exploration, that the emoji is a button and what it does?  If
fewer than 10, then we should ask, "why are we doing this" and stop.

As for me, I think these emoji buttons are a bad idea to start with, let
alone to continue with, let alone work around the newly discovered
problems with them.

Rudy
-- 
"Logic is a science of the necessary laws of thought, without which no
employment of the understanding and the reason takes place."
--- Immanuel Kant, 1785

Rudolf Adamkovič <[email-masked]> [he/him]
http://adamkovic.org