Subject: Re: bug#61413: [PATCH] Make warnings show a "warning" emoji instead of a stop-sign

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2025 09:03:24 +0800

Hello,

On Fri 18 Apr 2025 at 02:18pm +03, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> To the end is wrong, as it could become invisible due to
> line-truncation etc.  Maybe to the new line after the warning?

Perhaps after the word "Warning".  It's just column zero that makes it
seem like a bullet point, to me.

> (And let me say up front that no matter what we do, someone is bound
> to come back complaining.  So my personal recommendation is to leave
> this alone and let users get used to this, even if it will take some
> more moons.  We have bigger fish to fry, anyway.)

Regardless of the particular bug, I think that displaying warnings
ergonomically affects users more than it first seems to us as
developers.

Whenever Emacs's warnings behaviour changes, Debian gets a flurry of bug
reports.  Even just warnings from Emacs running in batch mode during apt
installations, i.e. among piles of other terminal output, on the
as-yet-unreleased Debian version 13, got us four identical bug
reports.[1]

[1]  https://bugs.debian.org/1099506 (cf. "Merged with ...")

-- 
Sean Whitton