Subject: Re: bug#61412: Inlay activation

From: Chinmay Dalal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 00:18:41 +0530

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> From: Chinmay Dalal <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 21:54:57 +0530
>> 
>> Regarding keybinding, on the github discussion someone suggested that
>> vscode shows them while a key combination is held and hides them when
>> they are released, but I was told emacs can't do this.
>
> Not only can we not do this, it is also not our style.  If we want to
> show hints, we either show tooltips, or display a message in the echo
> area.

Tooltips and echo area can't be used as inlay hints are for showing
types of multiple variables/expressions and names of parameters at once.

See the attached screenshots for an example (this is from my
implementation in this patch)

C++ (clangd):

Rust (rust-analyzer):