Subject: bug#61412: Hover github discussion

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 15:05:13 +0000

On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 1:58 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > From: Chinmay Dalal <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 21:05:12 +0530
> >
> >
> > From the discussion on github
> > https://github.com/joaotavora/eglot/discussions/963
> >
> > > The default version would be a hoverable symbol that shows something
> in the echo area when you mouse hover over it.
> >
> >
> > > Let's continue in the bug tracker discussion initiated by your bug
> report.
> > > As far as I understand, inlay hints will show the type of many visible
> expressions at once, so it's different from the "hover" scenario.
> >
> > Yes, so it is impossible to use mouse hover for this as you can only
> > hover on one thing at once, right?
>

Yes.  I haven't  looked at your code, but my expectation is for inlay hints
to
activate either on a timer after each change, or by the explicit request of
the user via a keybinding.

It simply doesn't make sense to use mouse hover for this because the
hover mechanic is for a single text and inlay hints are about overlaying
multiple pieces of information in multiple locations of the buffer.

João, could you please look into this?

Hi Eli, this is about the "inlay hints" feature.

It's on the radar, but I don't have time in the very near future
to handle this.

I seem to recall that recently you voiced some opinion in another
bug report that this feature could be handled by a separate library
instead of a custom Eglot-only implementation.  This could be
quite reasonable -- or it could  be overkill/overengeering.  Only a look
at the pros and cons of this implementation can tell that, and I haven't
had time, sorry.

Anyway, if there is indeed a separate discussion for this, then the
two discussions should be merged.  Be sure to keep me in the loop
if you can as I am overwhelmed with other activies in the moment
and am not scanning the bug-tracker, or even emacs-devel, for
Eglot-related emails at the moment.

João