Subject: bug#61396: diff mode could distinguish changed from deleted lines

From: Samuel Wales <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 16:56:16 -0700

can anybody think of a straightforward workaround for this as
described below that the user can do if diff-mode does not do it
[which it does not]?

i am pretty unsure what would do this.

thank you.

On 7/22/23, Samuel Wales <[email-masked]> wrote:
> so basically,
>
>   -this is a line that ^looks deleted, but it is changed
> ...
>   +this is a line that REALLY looks deleted, but it is changed

i.e. a mechanism to put a missing-text indicator where ^ is?

>
> what is not indicated for the user is at the ^.  i woul dlike it if
> diff mode if possible showed that text was deleted there.
>
> this allows you to look at only the - line and know that it is not a
> deleted line, possibly even mistakenly, but rather is part of a cange
> set, namely it and the + version of hte same line.  this would reduce
> user confusion considerably.

-- 
The Kafka Pandemic

A blog about science, health, human rights, and misopathy:
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com