Subject: bug#61396: diff mode could distinguish changed from deleted lines

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 13:20:36 +0300

On 15/09/2023 04:34, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> - Like Samuel mentioned, attenuate the indicators' column. Except instead of
>>    inverse video just apply the refine faces? See
>>    diff-refine-indicators.png. Looks good to me color-wise, though the change
>>   in the indication method is somewhat an inconsistency.
> I think I like that.  But I'm not sure how to adapt this to my case
> where I "prettify" the indicators into the fringe.

Fringes can use faces; those faces' backgrounds are also used for the 
background of the fringe. So in theory I don't see any problem, although 
how to write it in Lisp to keep both possibilities (fringe and 
non-fringe), might require some effort.

> Maybe a related idea would be to use the diff-refine-added/removed face
> on the line-end: the reduced contrast is not a problem there since
> there's no text.  But it's not always visible (for long enough lines).
> 
> I suspect we'll have to provide various alternatives and see which
> ones stick.