Subject: bug#61394: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Image-dired thumb name based on content

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 06:06:18 -0800

Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I think 'image-dired-thumbnail-storage' is already complicated enough,
>> and I'd rather not complicate it further.
>
> I don't understand here.  Do you suggest introducing another
> custom/variable?  'image-dired-thumbnail-storage' has currently only 3
> possible values.  I was suggesting adding one more.

That variable relates to *where* to store the thumbnail files, not how
to name the thumbnail files.  I might want to use `image-dired' or
`per-directory' using either thumbnail naming scheme.

So a new variable makes more sense, as it is orthogonal from
`image-dired-thumbnail-storage'.

>> Hmm, it sounds a bit too nondescript.  How about something like
>> 'image-dired-thumbnail-naming'?
>
> Do you mean as a name for a new variable? (I was talking about a new
> possible value for image-dired-thumbnail-storage)

Yes.  However, we currently have `image-dired-thumb-size', so perhaps
`image-dired-thumb-naming' is better.