Subject: bug#6138: closed (Re: bug#6138: mv while maintaining relative symbolic links)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 23:45:02 +0000

Your bug report

#6138: mv while maintaining relative symbolic links

which was filed against the coreutils package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
6138: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=6138
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#6138: mv while maintaining relative symbolic links
From: Bob Proulx <[email-masked]>
To: Peng Yu <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 17:44:37 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Peng Yu wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Is there any new information on this issue?  Have you made any
> > progress on your own solution?
> 
> No. I don't find any tool either.

I think it is unlikely (I haven't read any enthusiasm for it from the
group) for adding this type of functionality to mv.  I think it might
be possible to implement but if so then it should be in a different
standalone program.  It wouldn't be trivial.  It would be complicated
enough that if written it might only work acceptably for three people
in the universe.  So I don't know.

I am therefore inclined to mark this bug ticket closed in the bug
tracking system.  That doesn't mean an end to discussion on the
mailing list.  Please feel free to follow up.  The bug tracker will
keep track of the discussion and the issue can be awakened if needed.

Bob

Subject: mv while maintaining relative symbolic links
From: Peng Yu <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 15:33:11 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I'm wondering if there is any tool that can do almost exact the same
thing as mv, but it can maintain symbolic links.

mv doens't maintain relative symbolic links. For example, I have file
/tmp/A/file1.txt and a symbolic link /tmp/file1.txt that point to
A/file.txt (by the relative path). If I mv /tmp/A to /tmp/B, the link
/tmp/file1.txt will be broken.

Another example: I have file /tmp/file1.txt and symbolic link
/tmp/A/file1.txt that points to ../file1.txt (by relative path). If I
move /tmp/A to /tmp/B/A, the symbolic /tmp/A/file1.txt will be broken.

Could you please let me know if there is a tool that can maintain the
symbolic links?

-- 
Regards,
Peng