Subject: Re: bug#6138: mv while maintaining relative symbolic links

From: Bob Proulx <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 17:22:32 -0600

Peng Yu wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > To do what you are asking would require that every move operation
> > consult the contents of every symlink on the filesystem and adjust
> > those other symlinks.  Worse this is not only on the current
> > filesystem but also on other filesystems.  ...
> 
> I agree with you that this is may not be possible for whole file
> system. But under the assumptions that symbolic links and their
> targets are always in a number of directories (user configurable) on
> the same file system, then it is doable. This is practically what I
> need.

Is there any new information on this issue?  Have you made any
progress on your own solution?

> If anybody else knows some related tools for refined requirement (see
> above clarification), please let me know.

I am not aware of anything that already exists to do what you are asking.

Bob