Subject: Re: bug#61350: Eglot over Tramp freezes with large project

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 00:10:41 +0000

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

>> So would you buy a very fast car that only explodes 10% of the time :-)
>> I think that these kinds of features should be opt-in, at least until
>> one is more sure of their stability.  Here, this looks like an unstable
>> feature.
>
> It is stable. Except in the case of large amount of data, which is
> exceptional for Tramp usage.

...is it though? :-) Can a feature that hangs when presented with more
data than usual (however one defines that) be considered stable?

>> I understand you appreciate this feature and it has advantages
>> elsewhere.  But I we can recognize that, as things stand, it is a
>> non-essential performance optimization that wrecks Eglot functionally.
>
> It is essential. I have been beaten by many Tramp users to support it.

I'd say something "essential" is something you can't live without.  But
that doesn't seem to be the case here.  I could use Eglot over Tramp
with decent performance (although this is a local-to-local in disguise).
I wonder what Thomas has to say about performance with a real remote
server when he turns off ControlMaster.

Of course I do understand that it's a very sought after performance
optimization.  Doesn't seem to be quite finished, but that's just MHO.

> settings in ~/.ssh/config shall apply. And a new value, say `suppress',
> shall suppress this feature even if enabled in ~/.ssh/config.
>
> I'll try to implement something along this line.

Thanks.  I think that is a good start.  But can Eglot or the user
somehow set 'suppress' for connections "motivated" by Eglot, i.e. M-x
eglot in some remote file?  How?

João