Subject: bug#61350: Eglot over Tramp freezes with large project

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 15:36:10 +0100

Thomas Koch <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Thomas,

> Another [...] question:
>
> Would it be possible for Tramp to open and close a new SSH connection for every new command?
> Would this mitigate the problem as an immediate workaround?

It might help, don't know. But the concurrent accessing of process
output by different processes still exist, and I don't know exactly
(yet) why it doesn't work as expected.

> I use tramp to connect to a local VM or a machine in my home network. Thus opening a new SSH connection with ControlMaster is fast.

Yes, but I expect performance problems. We have already the Tramp "sudo"
method, which works like an ssh connection: open a process to the
target, and send commands via this process. Since it is a local
connection, this is even faster than ssh.

But there are security aware users, who dislike a permanent Tramp sudo
process, which would allow attacks with root permissions. For these
users, Tramp offers the "sudoedit" method. The difference is, that every
single command Tramp sends, is a new process, similar to what you
propose with ssh.

The performance of Tramp "sudoedit", compared with "sudo", is much
worse. Likely to be expected for a similar "ssh" approach.

Best regards, Michael.