Subject: bug#61350: Eglot over Tramp freezes with large project

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 11:22:02 +0100

João Távora <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi João,

>> Anyway, I've removed the TIMEOUT argument from t-a-p-o (defaulting it to
>> 0 now), and I've started the Tramp regression test campaign. It takes 2
>> or 3 days usually, so let's see what's the outcome.
>
> OK, sounds reasonable.  We're definitely in a better place now that the
> problem is understood.  After you push the patch, are you also going to
> bump the Tramp version?

Yes, this patch is also marked for the next Tramp release on GNU
ELPA. This will be Tramp 2.6.0.3, roughly scheduled for end of March.

FTR, the regression tests have shown problems with older Emacsen, Emacs
26 and 27, to say. So I need to fix this somehow, before the regression
tests will continue.

To tell the truth, the regression tests use the upcoming 2.6.0.3
version. Once everything is OK, it will be merged into the Emacs master
branch.

> I'd like to remove the Tramp-specific workaround in Eglot, but I don't
> know if I can: Eglot would have to "Package-Require" a certain version
> of Tramp.  Normally, :core packages should only require other :core
> things.  But Tramp is not a :core GNU ELPA package.  At least according
> to elpa.git/elpa-packages, it lives in its own repo.  Wait, but Tramp is
> _also_ in emacs.git.  Huh?  So maybe it's possible?  I'm confused.
> Stefan, can you help?

I'm not Stefan, but perhaps I could clarify. The Tramp version released
on GNU ELPA doesn't correspond to the Tramp in Emacs master. This is
mainly because I want to release a stable version on GNU ELPA. People
with a need for the bleeding edge Tramp can always use Emacs master, or
pull Tramp from its own repository on savannah.

> João

Best regards, Michael.