Subject: Re: bug#61350: Eglot over Tramp freezes with large project

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2023 09:44:26 +0100

João Távora <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi João,

>> OTOH, I don't know if such ssh clients are still used in the wild, at
>> least by Eglot users.
>
> There is this risk indeed.  But considering the two demographics:
>
> 1. People who use ControlMaster in ~/.ssh/config
> 2. People who have very old ssh clients
>
> I think that 2 is probably smaller than 1, especially if ControlMaster
> is such a momentous thing.  So i think the risk is worth taking.
> Especially because an error for people in 2. is easier to recognize,
> understand and report than an inexplicable Emacs hang.  And Eglot is a
> :core ELPA package, so bugfixes can be expedited.

I agree with your judgement. But we know that it is just a workaround. I
would sleep much better if I would know what's the root cause of the
problem.

Thomas seems to be on a good path with his analysis. Hopefully, we can
find something more on his way.

> João

Best regards, Michael.