Subject: 29.0.50; NEWS double announcement for BMP and w32-use-native-image-API

From: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2023 10:01:10 +0100

Hi all,

NEWS says currently after line 4792:

  ---
  *** Emacs now uses native image APIs to display some image formats.
  On Windows 2000 and later, Emacs now defaults to using the native
  image APIs for displaying the BMP, GIF, JPEG, PNG, and TIFF images.
  This means Emacs on MS-Windows needs no longer use external image
  support libraries to display those images.  Other image types -- XPM,
  SVG, and WEBP -- still need support libraries for Emacs to be able to
  display them.

  The use of native image APIs is controlled by the variable
  'w32-use-native-image-API', whose value now defaults to t on systems
  where those APIs are available.

  +++
  *** Emacs now supports display of BMP images using native image APIs.
  When 'w32-use-native-image-API' is non-nil, Emacs on MS-Windows now
  has built-in support for displaying BMP images.

Is this double announcement necessary?  Unless I'm missing something,
everything in the second item is actually said in the first one.

Best, Arash