Subject: bug#6133: Bug: create-image on console emacs

From: "Gary ." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 11:40:41 +0200

Below is a copy of a post* to the help-gnu-emacs mailing list about a
strange behaviour I found in GNU Emacs 23.1.1. It was suggested on the
mailing list that I submit a bug report, so here it is :-)

FWIW, this occurs on the Cygwin build(s)** specifically, but I suspect
on other builds as well. I don't know how else I can help, but please
feel free to contact me on this address if I can.

*  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2010-05/msg00632.html
** both the -x11 and -nox binaries

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gary <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, May 6, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Can anyone explain to me why If I use emacs in the console and call
create-image I get a message like "Non-X frame used" (whether I use an
X11 binary or non-X)? I don't get this at all.

The reason I ask is that I am trying to use the code from
http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_html.html (*waves*) and as I said to Xah
Lee off-list, while it may well be necessary to (for example) get an
image's dimensions in order to display an image, the reverse is not
true. Other console tools are able to do it fine, for example
ImageMagick can tell me the dimensions from the command line:

$ identify work/web1/Bilder/aussen.jpg
work/web1/Bilder/aussen.jpg JPEG 874x583 874x583+0+0 DirectClass 8-bit
58.75kb

X doesn't need to get involved until such time things actually (try to)
get displayed.