Subject: Re: bug#61326: [DRAFT PATCH v3] Work around zip's filename extension limitation (was: Adding --no-add-suffix to zip patch)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2023 17:52:11 +0200

> From: Ruijie Yu <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2023 23:23:59 +0800
> 
> > Form sent off-list.
> 
> Response sent to assign@gnu, thanks.

Thanks.

> By the way, while writing tests, I see a need to modify
> `archive-expunge' to accept an additional optional argument FORCE acting
> as the prefix argument.  I suppose if this is favored, I should probably
> say something in the etc/NEWS file (as well as the docstring, and maybe
> an info page somewhere)?  FTR, previously prefix arguments are ignored
> for `archive-expunge'.
> 
> The reason for the need of a FORCE argument is so that I want to ensure
> that file contents are correct after deleting a member using
> archive-mode functionalities without getting prompted for confirmation.
> However, `archive-expunge' ATM requires a user prompt via its baked-in
> `yes-or-no-p' call.

This is a separate feature.  In Dired-like user interfaces, we always
ask the user for confirmation before deleting items; 'C-u x' in Dired
AFAIR just avoids messages when no files are flagged for deletion, but
doesn't prevent the confirmation.  So if we are going to treat
archive-expunge differently, I think we'll need a very good reason.