Subject: bug#61325: 30.0.50; Jokes in GNUS manual

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2023 11:40:09 +0000

Po Lu <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Sorry, I do not understand this sentence.
>
> The phrase, ``let's not think further'', deliberately implies that
> whoever is reading the manual should not think about the topic any more.
>
> That phrase does not appear in the Gnus manual.

Do you imply that users who did not understand certain parts of manual
because of presence of jokes should just try harder instead of asking to
clarify of the manual?

>> Or, would it be even better to run a small poll, similar to Emacs
>> survey, presenting two versions of the section: with and without jokes,
>> and asking which one is preferred? That will draw a more clear picture
>> compared to just two mailing list dwellers arguing about what other
>> people prefer.
>
> What happens with all such a polls is that the mob which has been trying
> to remove all traces of possibly offensive material from software will
> arrange for themselves to be represented disproportionately relative to
> the majority of normal people who do not care at all.

Can't we just add an extra answer to observe if such people are
over-represented? Just asking if they enjoy, stay neutral, or feel
offended about the version with jokes?

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>