Subject: Re: bug#61325: 30.0.50; Jokes in GNUS manual

From: Akib Azmain Turja <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2023 21:41:08 +0600

Po Lu via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text
editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

> 3.16 Group Topics
>
>     If you read lots and lots of groups, it might be convenient to group
>     them hierarchically according to topics.  You put your Emacs groups over
>     here, your sex groups over there, and the rest (what, two groups or so?)
>     you put in some misc section that you never bother with anyway.  You can
>     even group the Emacs sex groups as a sub-topic to either the Emacs
>     groups or the sex groups—or both!  Go wild!
>
> I do understand the rest as well.
>
>> Agree. My other points remain. In particular, about joking on sex topic,
>> which is present in the same paragraph.
>
> There are such newsgroups on the Usenet, so why would cracking jokes
> about them be any different from cracking jokes about any other
> newsgroup?
>
> Seriously, anyone who finds that joke offensive needs to grow up and get
> a life!

There are many who are still growing up.  Is GNUS only intended for
adults?  I don't think so.  But still that sex topic included.

However, the text at the very end of the Top node of Texinfo manual is
even more offensive (for many):

     Documentation is like sex: when it is good, it is very, very good;
     and when it is bad, it is better than nothing.  —Dick Brandon

Why a few GNU manuals tend to be for adults?

-- 
Akib Azmain Turja, GPG key: 70018CE5819F17A3BBA666AFE74F0EFA922AE7F5
Fediverse: [email-masked]
Codeberg: akib
emailselfdefense.fsf.org | "Nothing can be secure without encryption."