Subject: Re: bug#61325: 30.0.50; Jokes in GNUS manual

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 23:53:27 -0700

Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]> writes:

> I was just pointed to 3.15 Exiting Gnus, 3.16 Group Topics, and 8
> Scoring sections of GNUS manual. Apparently, at least some users find
> the style of these sections insulting.
>
> While I do not object jokes per se, I do note that for a person outside
> USA context or, sometimes, for a person inside USA context, jokes in the
> listed section are simply distracting from understanding the described
> topic.

This spawned a huge megathread where no clear consensus was to be found.
Discussing this as a general proposition is unlikely to lead to any
results at this point, so I'm closing this bug report.

If this issue is to be revisited, I suggest it is done with patches that
are both

  a) very small, and
  b) sent in separate bug reports.

In particular, we are interested in fixing those places where there is
only a joke, and no a clear explanation.

Thanks.