Subject: Re: bug#61325: 30.0.50; Jokes in GNUS manual

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 11:33:13 +0000

Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> writes:

>   > What is not clear for me is the word "occasional". How many jokes are
>   > considered occasional? 
>
> Alas, it is impossible to formulate an exact definition of
> "occasional".  That is the nature of the concept.
>
> I think it means that if you feel that you encounter one after another
> after another, that's not occasional.  That's the right way to decide
> such a question.  Of course, we can't expect all people to judge this
> the same way.

Thanks for the clarification!
It is a bit unsatisfactory, but understandable. Trying to provide a
measurable criterion would likely get such criterion wrong anyway.

WRT this bug report, my understanding is the following:

Just the fact of using a sensitive topic for a joke must not be a reason
to remove it. The only reason would be showing and getting others to
agree that such jokes are numerous across the manual.

What is not clear for me is a stance on replacing the jokes on sensitive
topic with equivalent jokes on less sensitive topic. Unless such change
is making the jokes worse, should it be rejected? Accepted?

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>