Subject: bug#61325: 30.0.50; Jokes in GNUS manual

From: "Jose A. Ortega Ruiz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2023 20:10:13 +0000

On Thu, Mar 09 2023, Robert Pluim wrote:

>>>>>> On Thu, 9 Mar 2023 16:10:22 +0200, Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> said:
>
>     Dmitry> On 09/03/2023 06:05, Sam James wrote:
>     >> Attached hopefully a good compromise between the
>     >> original bug & improving it.
>
>     Dmitry> I like that.
>
> I donʼt. It loses the self-deprecating joke that hackers care about
> sex and Emacs, and very little else.

Agreed.  As I see it, these jokes are, in their small scale, literature,
not technical writing.  One doesn't rewrite literature, unless one is
Roald Dahl's editor, or the original author of the work.  IMHO, it'd be
more respectful to their authors to simply delete the jokes if need be
(I don't think there's any need, though).

jao
-- 
Since when do we have to agree with people to defend them from
injustice? -Lillian Hellman, playwright (20 Jun 1905-1984)