Subject: bug#61325: 30.0.50; Jokes in GNUS manual

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2023 09:21:27 +0800

Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]> writes:

> My statement is based on a concrete person complaining about too many
> inappropriate jokes. I also listed the specific jokes in question.

If I decode to complain about something absurd, such as perhaps the fact
that your name is Ihor, I will also have become a ``concrete person''
complaining about a specific fact.

Does that make such a complaint reasonable?

> The idea of asking general public has been rejected (see my earlier
> message about running a poll). Po Lu argued that such a poll will
> represent people overreacting to the jokes disproportionally (they will
> tend to participate in the poll more).
>
> So, I tried to fall back to the GNU policy. Which, IMHO should be
> slightly clarified. The part about what "occasional joke" refers to.

The best interpretation is that of time.  In over 25 years, people have
not complained loudly enough to alter those jokes.  I see no reason 2023
should be any different, except maybe that there are more unreasonable
people in 2023.  Here is an example from Emacs 19.34: