Subject: bug#61325: 30.0.50; Jokes in GNUS manual

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 14:13:33 +0000

Jean Louis <[email-masked]> writes:

> * Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]> [2023-03-07 16:49]:
>> The problem with Gnus manual though is that the number of jokes in it is
>> huge. And it appears that jokes involving sensitive topics are not
>> occasional.
>
> Statements are too hypothetical, they are making the problem, creating
> the problem where there was none in reality.
>
> And participants, IMHO, are acting highly hypothetically, trying to
> judge public opinion without really asking public. 

My statement is based on a concrete person complaining about too many
inappropriate jokes. I also listed the specific jokes in question.

The idea of asking general public has been rejected (see my earlier
message about running a poll). Po Lu argued that such a poll will
represent people overreacting to the jokes disproportionally (they will
tend to participate in the poll more).

So, I tried to fall back to the GNU policy. Which, IMHO should be
slightly clarified. The part about what "occasional joke" refers to.

> Before deciding which joke is appropriate or not or what shall be
> removed, one shall ask minimum of 1000 public members. And I believe
> participants don't have resources for that, but many like to act as
> "public relation officers" by knowing it all how some people would
> feel.

We have. The previous https://emacssurvey.org/ generated over 1000
replies. But see Po Lu's concern.

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>