Subject: Re: bug#61325: 30.0.50; Jokes in GNUS manual

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 14:05:33 +0000

Po Lu <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Though I do not see why replacing the risky topics with more neutral
>> would hurt, given that the quality of a joke being changed does not
>> degrade.
>
> Because it amounts to kow-towing in front of the mob of hypersensitive
> people.

Why is it a problem?
If we can make the manual accessible to more people (hypersensitive or
not) by a slight adjustment to the joke and without compromising the
quality, why not?
I am not talking about removing every joke.

>> What is not clear for me is the word "occasional". How many jokes are
>> considered occasional? I think that it is something worth clarifying in
>> https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html#Humor
>
> Whatever the author of the document felt like at the time it was
> written, I think.

My question was to clarify how we should read that document. The end
goal is updating https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html with
the clarification. I assume that RMS is the right person to ask about
such thing.

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>