Subject: Re: bug#61325: 30.0.50; Jokes in GNUS manual

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 08:34:38 +0300

* Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]> [2023-03-07 16:49]:
> The problem with Gnus manual though is that the number of jokes in it is
> huge. And it appears that jokes involving sensitive topics are not
> occasional.

Statements are too hypothetical, they are making the problem, creating
the problem where there was none in reality.

And participants, IMHO, are acting highly hypothetically, trying to
judge public opinion without really asking public. 

Public relation is about relation to public in plural, and you don't
have that. We heard of anonymous Muslim offended by what? Some sex
jokes? How about first complaining to his country's censorship
department, as they are responsible in the first place to let those
offending words pass through their censorship filters (irony).

Before deciding which joke is appropriate or not or what shall be
removed, one shall ask minimum of 1000 public members. And I believe
participants don't have resources for that, but many like to act as
"public relation officers" by knowing it all how some people would
feel.

There was no real problem. No law broken, nobody was harmed, and there
was no incident of real user trying to use Gnus, only hypothetical
assumptions, no facts.

The real problem could be when specific, named, non-anonymous user
says that user did not understand part of the manual, and does not
know how to use Gnus, but wants to connect to (G)news.

Real problem could be also when there would be continuous
non-anonymous complaints on those jokes in last 2 decades.

--
Jean

Take action in Free Software Foundation campaigns:
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/