Subject: bug#61325: 30.0.50; Jokes in GNUS manual

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 23:35:32 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

I think that when I wrote the Kind Communication Guidelines, I was
thinking about discussions (like this one).  It asks people to try to
avoid offending anyone else in the discussion.  That is a limited set
of people to be considerate of.

When the same points are applied to a book, which is published, there
is a problem: anyone might read the book.  So it can be interpreted as
saying that the author should make sure not to offend anyone
whosoever.  That implies that every demand for censorship should be
catered to.

That is not a good outcome, and not what I intended.

It looks like I will have to think more about this.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)