Subject: bug#61325: 30.0.50; Jokes in GNUS manual

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 21:05:50 +0800

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> I suggest this alternative and much more minimal patch, which only
> removes the most unnecessary references to "sex" (replacing it with
> "meme", which is what most of the internet is about these days) but
> keeps the reference to something as innocuous as a "date" (which in
> standard American English could mean just having dinner) and "naughty"
> (which according to Merriam-Webster means "engaging in or marked by
> childish misbehavior").
>
> If this is acceptable, I suggest installing this and moving on.

The problem with this approach is that alt.sex is a real hierarchy.
``alt.meme'' is not, so it reduces the accuracy of the joke.

Trying to censor this part of the Gnus manual is like trying to censor
the Usenet: it won't work.  It is sad that the unsuccessful attemts at
censorship from important people and organizations, including American
congressmen and major Internet service providers, have been reused by
those pushing modern, for lack of a better phrase, PC rhetoric, against
newsreaders.

One of the few standpoints unrelated to free software taken by the GNU
project is the opposition to censorship.  No matter if the demands for
censorship come from individuals, or if they come from the
Communications Decency Act, they must be resolutely opposed.