Subject: bug#61325: 30.0.50; Jokes in GNUS manual

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 10:43:52 +0000

Petteri Hintsanen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Looking at the big picture, Gnus manual is full of jokes, irony,
> self-deprecation, and other literary devices.  It is a losing battle to
> try to somehow clean it up by cutting some, possibly objectionable or
> confusing, thorns.  The manual is full of them.

I do not think that objectionable jokes are many in the Gnus manual.
I do not think that jokes Gnus manual are all bad.
I believe that we can improve the jokes in the Gnus manual, replace
some, or add new. We cannot treat manuals as a complete literary piece
that must not be changed significantly even when the underlying software
is being actively developed.

> The whole manual should be rewritten, if one wants to have it written in
> "neutral" style -- whatever that would be.  For the sake of argument,
> let's say that "without literary gimmicks of any kind."

I do not think so. We can have jokes in GNU manuals. Officially.
https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html#Humor

> As for adjusting the tone of the current manual, I don't see much return
> of investment.  That energy would be better spent elsewhere.  I'd leave
> the current manual as-is.

I believe that the current manual can be improved without rewriting. It
is more likely than someone rewriting it.

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>