Subject: Re: bug#61325: 30.0.50; Jokes in GNUS manual

From: Petteri Hintsanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 15:59:39 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> It's a losing battle, but: every joke makes someone uncomfortable.
> The only way of making no one uncomfortable is to never joke, and what
> a sad world would that be!  (Come to think about, the only way to
> never make someone uncomfortable is to say nothing at all.)

I tend to agree here.

Looking at the big picture, Gnus manual is full of jokes, irony,
self-deprecation, and other literary devices.  It is a losing battle to
try to somehow clean it up by cutting some, possibly objectionable or
confusing, thorns.  The manual is full of them.

The whole manual should be rewritten, if one wants to have it written in
"neutral" style -- whatever that would be.  For the sake of argument,
let's say that "without literary gimmicks of any kind."

I _personally_ find the current Gnus manual a creative work that clearly
reflects its author's personality, which I consider a benefit.  For me
the manual is mostly amusing, occasionally annoying, and, at some
points, downright hilarious, like the completely out of scope "note"
about hazy trance.  OTOH, I like Lars' writing style and his sense of
humor.  I understand others may not.  It's okay, we are different.

As for adjusting the tone of the current manual, I don't see much return
of investment.  That energy would be better spent elsewhere.  I'd leave
the current manual as-is.

Thanks,
Petteri