Subject: bug#61325: 30.0.50; Jokes in GNUS manual

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 23:19:53 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > > We owe no special consideration to people who try to impose their
  > > unrelated hgypersensitivities on others.  They are demanding power
  > > which nobody should have.

  > I can see the point, but does it apply to well-known sensitive topics,
  > like sex, races, politics, etc?

Nowadays there is a fashion for hypersensitivity; whatever the topic.
If you approach within 50 feet, some will say "That's offensively
close."  No one is entitled to that much control over others.

GNU manuals should not insult anyone, not even with a hint, except
perhaps those who attack our freedom, for attacking our freedom.

But we should not have to tiptoe through life lest some hypersensitive
person take offense by association.

  > Or do you
  > mean that statements deliberately attacking/mocking people who use Gnus
  > (or certain parts/functions in Gnus) should be avoided?

That is what I meant.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)