Subject: Re: bug#61325: 30.0.50; Jokes in GNUS manual

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 09:27:52 +0800

Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]> writes:

> Will it be ok to do such replacement?

That's Lars' call, not mine.

> This sounds like a technical information being encoded into the joke. I
> did not get this information while reading because I did not understand
> the joke. 

Maybe you need to spend some time on the Usenet?

> May you please point me to the place in Gnus manual that explains what
> kill files are?
>
> I only found the following, but there is no explanation what kill files mean:
>
>     8.13 Kill Files
>     ===============
>     
>     Gnus still supports those pesky old kill files.  In fact, the kill file
>     entries can now be expiring, which is something I wrote before Daniel
>     Quinlan thought of doing score files, so I’ve left the code in there.

8.13 Kill Files
===============

Gnus still supports those pesky old kill files.  In fact, the kill file
entries can now be expiring, which is something I wrote before Daniel
Quinlan thought of doing score files, so I’ve left the code in there.

   In short, kill processing is a lot slower (and I do mean _a lot_)
than score processing, so it might be a good idea to rewrite your kill
files into score files.

   Anyway, a kill file is a normal ‘emacs-lisp’ file.  You can put any
forms into this file, which means that you can use kill files as some
sort of primitive hook function to be run on group entry, even though
that isn’t a very good idea.

   Normal kill files look like this:

     (gnus-kill "From" "Lars Ingebrigtsen")
     (gnus-kill "Subject" "ding")
     (gnus-expunge "X")

   This will mark every article written by me as read, and remove the
marked articles from the summary buffer.  Very useful, you’ll agree.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Did you read this section or not?