Subject: Re: bug#61325: 30.0.50; Jokes in GNUS manual

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 09:56:10 +0300

* Visuwesh <[email-masked]> [2023-02-08 16:44]:
> > 3.15 Exiting Gnus has
> >
> >    Note:
> >
> >      Miss Lisa Cannifax, while sitting in English class, felt her feet
> >      go numbly heavy and herself fall into a hazy trance as the boy
> >      sitting behind her drew repeated lines with his pencil across the
> >      back of her plastic chair.
> >
> > I am not sure if it is a joke. I only feel confused about what
> > information this note is trying to convey. Also, at least one other user
> > find this section insulting.
> 
> I am not sure what this person finds insulting.  I am not sure if you
> referred to this when you wrote "female bullying" in another thread, but
> what I visualise when I read this is much more innocent and does not
> have anything offensive.  OTOH, I do agree this paragraph sticks out and
> seemingly serves no useful info.

Art is perceived by audience. Every user, every reader, can add to the
author's idea. It may be different to different users.

I get the feeling of what happens when "Exiting Gnus". What is the
stage when you exit the world of reading newsgroups? How does it feel? 

User is in one world "Gnus" or "news", reading newsgroups, it is
specific world where mind is occupied and does not focus on the
environment.

How does it feel when user get out of that news environment?

It is similar as waking up from a dream. It is similar as opening eyes
and seeing something totally different!

It shows the feeling of author contrast of the environment and feeling
of a user as to how it feels when you exit Gnus.

Maybe it is Miss Lisa Cannifax in English class, or plethora of other
variations.

It is awakening.

And Miss Lisa Cannifax helps reader awake to. 

There is message from author right there. I maybe see it, maybe
not. But I see what I feel.

--
Jean

Take action in Free Software Foundation campaigns:
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/