Subject: bug#61325: 30.0.50; Jokes in GNUS manual

From: Akib Azmain Turja <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2023 21:35:10 +0600

dick <[email-masked]> writes:

> I trust everyone here can acknowledge Gnus had long ago reached a
> terminal state, and that new readers of the manual are more interested
> in 1990s netspeak than actually using the software.  As you readily
> note, the manual is worthless for the latter's purpose.  Gnusers
> worldwide, all 12 of us, have long known this.

+1, the manual is mostly useless for newbies.  I learned mostly by
experimenting (and often breaking Emacs) and other internet resources.

>
> I also trust everyone can see we're critiquing the equivalent of a five
> year-old's clay ashtray as if it were a Confederate monument, which I
> grant you is welcome respite from purposelessness and childlessness, but
> nothing to build a head of steam about!

Somehow, the Gnus manual seems to me less as a serious manual and more
as a literature text.

-- 
Akib Azmain Turja, GPG key: 70018CE5819F17A3BBA666AFE74F0EFA922AE7F5
Fediverse: [email-masked]
Codeberg: akib
emailselfdefense.fsf.org | "Nothing can be secure without encryption."