Subject: Re: bug#61325: 30.0.50; Jokes in GNUS manual

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2023 11:59:23 +0000

Po Lu <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Do you imply that users who did not understand certain parts of manual
>> because of presence of jokes should just try harder instead of asking to
>> clarify of the manual?
>
> Yes, when it is clear to most people that they do not impair the ability
> to understand the manual.

I agree that jokes that do not impair the ability to understand the
manual are ok.

I disagree that jokes in "8 Scoring" and "3.16 Group Topics" do not
impair the understanding. For me, section 8 and section 3.16 are harder
to understand because of jokes. I even missed some of the technical
statements.

A note "3.15 Exiting Gnus" does not impair my understanding. Just make
me feel confused about what it means.

> Many people do not understand English.
> Should we write Emacs documentation in some other language, then?

Please, do not use appeal to ridicule.

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>