Subject: 30.0.50; 'M-x select-frame-by-name' --with-pgtk does not switch focused frame

From: Protesilaos Stavrou <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2023 12:52:35 +0200

Dear maintainers,

When using Emacs PGTK, the command 'select-frame-by-name' does not
switch focus to the selected frame.  Instead, it selects the buffer on
the specified frame, but keeps the current frame in focus.

Steps to reproduce with 'emacs -Q':

1. In the scratch buffer, do 'M-x make-frame'
2. In one of the two frames, switch to another buffer, such as "*Messages*".
3. Do 'M-x select-frame-by-name' and select the other frame.

I attach a screenshot that shows the mismatch between the focused frame
and current window.  I disabled blink-cursor-mode to capture the cursor
in the screenshot.

I tried this on GNOME Wayland.

This does not happen when I compile Emacs WITHOUT --with-pgtk.

Please let me know if there is something else I could test or modify.

Thank you for your time.

All the best,
Protesilaos (or simply "Prot")

* * *

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.36, cairo version 1.17.6) of 2023-02-06 built on kronos
Repository revision: 013655811aa1c89754372610c8c6ccccec166035
Repository branch: master
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-gameuser=:games
 --with-modules --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt --without-gconf
 --with-native-compilation=yes --with-xinput2 --with-pgtk
 --without-xaw3d --with-sound=no --with-tree-sitter --without-gpm
 --without-compress-install
 '--program-transform-name=s/\([ec]tags\)/\1.emacs/'
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
 -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK
PNG RSVG SECCOMP SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER
WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

-- 
Protesilaos Stavrou
https://protesilaos.com