Subject: 29.0.60; rust-ts-mode does not show function-invocation on field-properties

From: Jostein Kjønigsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2023 21:15:28 +0100

Steps to reproduce:

- set font-lock level 4 to enable highlighting of function-invocations
- create a new buffer and activate rust-ts-mode

Try writing a function which invokes functions indirectly trough 
field-properties. Example below:

pub fn should_handle(url: String) -> bool {
     if url.ends_with(".css")
        || url.ends_with(".js")
        || url.ends_with(".png")
        || url.ends_with(".jpg")
     {
         false
     } else {
         true
     }
}

Observe that:

- ends_with() is fontified as a property-access, not as a 
function-invocation.
- (plain function invocation is highlighted as expected though)

 From my preliminary inspection of the rust-ts-mode source-code, this 
seems to be because of a very general override later in the file:

rust-ts-mode.el, line 248 or so:

    :language 'rust
    :feature 'property
    :override t
    '((field_identifier) @font-lock-property-face
      (shorthand_field_initializer (identifier) @font-lock-property-face))

Dissabling "override" for this feature fixes the fontification of method 
invocations, but I haven't done enough testing to see if there are other 
unexpected side-effects.

--
Jostein

In GNU Emacs 29.0.60 (build 5, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
  3.24.36, cairo version 1.17.6) of 2023-01-28 built on thinkpad-t14s
Repository revision: 362678d90e10d0e60642cb42594f9e15e39a3a0b
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12201007
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
  'configure --with-json --with-tree-sitter'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Rust

Minor modes in effect:
   global-git-commit-mode: t
   magit-auto-revert-mode: t
   electric-pair-mode: t
   highlight-symbol-mode: t
   flycheck-mode: t
   editorconfig-mode: t
   company-mode: t
   which-function-mode: t
   helm-mode: t
   helm-minibuffer-history-mode: t
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   helm--remap-mouse-mode: t
   async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
   delete-selection-mode: t
   global-auto-revert-mode: t
   yas-global-mode: t
   yas-minor-mode: t
   global-nlinum-mode: t
   nlinum-mode: t
   ido-yes-or-no-mode: t
   override-global-mode: t
   server-mode: t
   global-hl-line-mode: t
   pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
   doom-modeline-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   auto-fill-function: yas--auto-fill
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   hs-minor-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/jostein/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20230107.1528/transient hides 
/home/jostein/build/emacs/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort emacsbug rust-ts-mode cargo cargo-process rust-utils
rust-mode rust-rustfmt rust-playpen rust-compile rust-cargo tramp-cmds
tramp-sh cus-start view org-element org-persist org-id org-refile
avl-tree oc-basic ol-eww ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win ol-docview
doc-view jka-compr ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi
help-fns radix-tree cl-print apropos mail-extr csharp-mode cc-langs
vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-cvs vc-rcs log-view vc bug-reference
helm-bookmark helm-adaptive magit-bookmark bookmark executable flyspell
ispell sgml-mode facemenu helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval edebug
helm-info pulse magit-extras face-remap magit-submodule magit-obsolete
magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull
magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence
magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch
magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos
magit-apply magit-wip magit-log magit-diff smerge-mode diff git-commit
log-edit message sendmail yank-media rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util
magit-core magit-autorevert magit-margin magit-transient magit-process
with-editor magit-mode magit-git magit-base magit-section crm
markdown-mode color combobulate combobulate-yaml combobulate-css
combobulate-js-ts combobulate-python combobulate-html combobulate-ui
transient combobulate-display let-alist combobulate-contrib
multiple-cursors mc-separate-operations rectangular-region-mode
mc-mark-pop mc-edit-lines mc-hide-unmatched-lines-mode mc-mark-more
mc-cycle-cursors multiple-cursors-core rect combobulate-manipulation
python combobulate-navigation combobulate-misc combobulate-interface
combobulate-rules combobulate-settings tempo elec-pair
typescript-ts-mode js c-ts-common cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs treesit disp-table
vc-git diff-mode vc-dispatcher misearch multi-isearch dired-aux
image-file image-converter helm-external helm-net find-dired grep vc-svn
winner ffap tramp-archive tramp-gvfs tramp-cache time-stamp zeroconf
dbus add-log ido-completing-read+ memoize minibuf-eldef elisp-slime-nav
paredit highlight-symbol flycheck editorconfig editorconfig-core
editorconfig-core-handle editorconfig-fnmatch company-oddmuse
company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop generator company-gtags
company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files company-clang
company-capf company-cmake company-semantic company-template
company-bbdb company eglot external-completion array jsonrpc ert ewoc
debug backtrace flymake-proc flymake warnings which-func hideshow eww
url-queue thingatpt shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg xml dom puny
mm-url gnus nnheader gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr
helm-imenu helm-mode helm-misc helm-files image-dired image-dired-tags
image-dired-external image-dired-util xdg image-mode dired
dired-loaddefs exif tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration
cus-edit pp cus-load wid-edit files-x tramp-compat shell parse-time
iso8601 ls-lisp helm-buffers helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep
helm-regexp helm-utils helm-help helm-types helm helm-global-bindings
helm-easymenu helm-core async-bytecomp helm-source helm-multi-match
helm-lib async pcase imenu ob-plantuml org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete
org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities time-date noutline outline
icons ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold
org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs format-spec delsel
autorevert filenotify yasnippet nlinum linum ido-yes-or-no advice ido
edmacro kmacro use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode xref project
server hl-line pixel-scroll cua-base compile-eslint compile
text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring doom-modeline
doom-modeline-segments doom-modeline-env doom-modeline-core
all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces data-material data-weathericons
data-octicons data-fileicons data-faicons data-alltheicons shrink-path
rx f f-shortdoc s dash compat dracula-theme cl-extra help-mode
use-package-ensure use-package-core finder-inf yasnippet-autoloads
ido-yes-or-no-autoloads elisp-slime-nav-autoloads cmake-mode-autoloads
flycheck-autoloads pkg-info-autoloads magit-autoloads
all-the-icons-autoloads crontab-mode-autoloads powershell-autoloads
doom-modeline-autoloads undo-tree-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads
magit-section-autoloads paredit-autoloads dracula-theme-autoloads
cargo-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads helm-autoloads popup-autoloads
queue-autoloads nlinum-autoloads bmx-mode-autoloads company-autoloads
git-commit-autoloads multiple-cursors-autoloads dap-mode-autoloads
lsp-treemacs-autoloads treemacs-autoloads cfrs-autoloads
posframe-autoloads hydra-autoloads pfuture-autoloads
ace-window-autoloads avy-autoloads bui-autoloads transient-autoloads
ido-completing-read+-autoloads memoize-autoloads with-editor-autoloads
compat-autoloads epl-autoloads lsp-docker-autoloads yaml-autoloads
highlight-symbol-autoloads expand-region-autoloads lsp-mode-autoloads
lv-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads spinner-autoloads ht-autoloads
shrink-path-autoloads f-autoloads dash-autoloads s-autoloads info
editorconfig-autoloads helm-core-autoloads async-autoloads package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache
json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs
cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 923748 105144)
  (symbols 48 55100 49)
  (strings 32 257968 16692)
  (string-bytes 1 7664141)
  (vectors 16 115330)
  (vector-slots 8 2152154 163085)
  (floats 8 1189 588)
  (intervals 56 28029 2201)
  (buffers 984 86))

-- 
Vennlig hilsen
*Jostein Kjønigsen*

[email-masked] 🍵 [email-masked]
https://jostein.kjønigsen.no <https://jostein.kjønigsen.no>