Subject: bug#61299: 30.0.50; error when trying to installing via package-vc-selected-packages list

From: dalanicolai <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2023 17:42:08 +0100

>From emacs -q read the docstring of `package-vc-selected-packages`.

Subsequently try to use by setting the value using:

 (setq package-vc-selected-packages
       '((image-roll :url "https://github.com/dalanicolai/image-roll.el")))

As far as I know the value has the correct structure (as described in
the docstring). However, when trying to actually install the package
using `package-vs-install-selected-packages`, Emacs somehow determines
that `:url` is the name of the package.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-02-05 built on
 floris-XPS-15-9560
Repository revision: d27d9a43d4d1b3f8a213cb739f4d27793158a050
Repository branch: master
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --with-xwidgets --with-pgtk --with-modules --with-cairo
 --with-native-compilation -with-json'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG
RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM XWIDGETS
GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nl_NL.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nl_NL.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: nl_NL.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Org

Minor modes in effect:
  marginalia-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  evil-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug cl-print edebug shortdoc package-x
package-vc vc help-fns mule-util org-element org-persist org-id
org-refile avl-tree oc-basic ol-eww eww xdg url-queue mm-url ol-rmail
ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view
mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap
nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
gnus-win gnus nnheader range ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode
exif ol-bibtex bibtex iso8601 ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi
cursor-sensor vc-git diff-mode vc-dispatcher vc-svn cus-edit cus-start
cus-load eglot external-completion array filenotify jsonrpc marginalia
marginalia-autoloads xref org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote
org-faces org-entities noutline outline ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval
org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs
format-spec imenu consult-icomplete icomplete flymake-proc flymake
project consult-vertico consult compat bookmark consult-autoloads ert-x
compat-macs compat-autoloads savehist orderless orderless-autoloads
vertico-flat vertico vertico-autoloads evil-nerd-commenter
evil-nerd-commenter-operator evil-nerd-commenter-sdk sgml-mode facemenu
dom evil-nerd-commenter-autoloads which-key pcase which-key-autoloads
bind-map evil-test-helpers evil evil-keybindings evil-integration ert pp
ewoc debug backtrace find-func elp evil-maps evil-commands ffap reveal
flyspell ispell evil-jumps evil-command-window evil-search evil-ex shell
pcomplete evil-types evil-macros evil-repeat evil-states evil-core
advice evil-common windmove calc calc-loaddefs calc-macs thingatpt rect
evil-digraphs evil-vars edmacro kmacro info evil-autoloads undo-tree
diff queue undo-tree-autoloads tar-mode arc-mode archive-mode comp
comp-cstr rx generator warnings icons cl compile comint ansi-osc
ansi-color ring queue-autoloads loaddefs-gen lisp-mnt radix-tree
mm-archive message sendmail yank-media dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
text-property-search time-date mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-utils gnutls network-stream url-cache url-http
url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr url-gw nsm puny cl-extra help-mode recentf tree-widget
wid-edit use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight
use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode
use-package-core finder-inf bind-map-autoloads :url-autoloads package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache
json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs
cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win
pgtk-win term/common-win pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads xwidget-internal dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 600102 54334)
 (symbols 48 36405 0)
 (strings 32 141557 4453)
 (string-bytes 1 5302430)
 (vectors 16 70093)
 (vector-slots 8 1166751 55161)
 (floats 8 540 101)
 (intervals 56 1267 141)
 (buffers 976 27))