Subject: Re: bug#61292: define-public fontconfig vs. fontconfig-minimal as its name

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 22:24:48 -0500

Hi,

Attila Lendvai <[email-masked]> writes:

> (define-public fontconfig
> [...]
>      (name "fontconfig-minimal")
>
> this tripped me up. is this a mistake?
>
> if not, then please add a comment that explains this anomaly.

There's already a comment above fontconfig-with-documentation that
reads:

  This is intentionally named 'fontconfig', as it's intended as the
  user-facing fontconfig package

The original fontconfig was renamed fontconfig-minimal but the variable
was not renamed to avoid having to adjust the rest of the code base.  It
could be done, and then the fontconfig-with-documentation *variable*
could be renamed to simply fontconfig.

That'd be more conventional.

Would you like to give it a try?  It shouldn't cause any rebuild, I
think.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim