Subject: Re: bug#61283: 29.0.60; pcomplete-completions-at-point loses text properties, breaking pcomplete-from-help annotations

From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 08:19:52 +0200

On 5/16/23 03:49, Liu Hui wrote:
> I agree that completion-table-with-quoting is responsible.
> pcomplete-annotation and pcomplete-help text properties can be
> successfully shown by the completion UI (corfu/company) by applying
> the following patch:
>
> It just re-adds text properties to completions produced by
> `completion-table-with-quoting', but I'm not sure it is the proper
> fix. What do you think?

I wonder when the regression was introduced. Maybe this could help to
pin down the problem and give a hint at the proper fix. I cc'ed Stefan,
since he can judge better if the proposed fix is good. I would at least
add a comment, explaining why the properties are copied.

Eli, are you okay with adding a fix for this problem to emacs-29? The
pcomplete help functionality is new functionality introduced in Emacs
29, but it never worked properly, it seems.

Daniel