Subject: Re: bug#61274: 29.0.60; dabbrev-capf signals errors

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2023 19:17:16 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2023 12:13:27 -0500
> 
> > maybe dabbrev-capf is unsuitable to serve as the value of
> > completion-at-point-functions?
> 
> As the name implies, it's a function designed specifically for use on
> `completion-at-point-functions`.  Maybe dabbrev is not well adapted
> for use within a normal completion UI, but `dabbrev-capf` should do its
> best to obey the rules of `completion-at-point-functions`, so I think
> the behavior Daniel suggests is indeed what `dabbrev-capf` should try
> to do.

Then there's something here that puzzles me: the recipe presented by
Daniel is basically identical to what dabbrev-completion does.  And
yet dabbrev-completion produces different effects when invoked in the
same buffer with the same text at point.  What is responsible for the
difference in behavior?