Subject: bug#6127: closed (Re: bug#6127: 24.0.50; crash because of missing font for menus)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 15:35:01 +0000

Your bug report

#6127: 24.0.50; crash because of missing font for menus

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
6127: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=6127
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#6127: 24.0.50; crash because of missing font for menus
From: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>
To: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 17:34:29 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Peter Dyballa skrev 2010-05-08 01.05:
>
> Am 07.05.2010 um 09:01 schrieb Jan Djärv:
>
>> I can't reproduce this. Does it work if you remove that X resource, or
>> if you put in a font that exists?
>
>
> The resource is deleted (the font is available), only
>
> Emacs.menu*borderColor: DeepSkyBlue
> Emacs.menu*borderWidth: 3
> Emacs.menu*shadowThickness: 3
> Emacs.menu.attributeBackground: lavender
> Emacs.menu.attributeForeground: DarkRed
> Emacs.pane.menubar.margin: 2
> Emacs.pane.menubar.shadowThickness: 3
>
> exist. GNU Emacs crashes every time, independent of GCC version or X11
> distribution or whether launched with -Q or not or as some other user.

I found a bug, please test it.  FWIW, I only get it with your resources and 
with an optimized Emacs build, and even then it only happens very seldom.  It 
is a race condition of sorts.

	Jan D.

Subject: 24.0.50; crash because of missing font for menus
From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 23:16:33 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello!

Trying to debug a failure in font handling by the X server – XQuartz  
2.5.1 (xorg-server 1.8.0.902) – I removed some elements from Font  
Path. When I now open a menu either from menu-bar or by making it pop  
up, GNU Emacs reports:

	Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-frutiger linotype-bold-r-normal- 
*-10-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1" to type FontStruct

It comes from the X resource

	Emacs*menu*font:	-*-frutiger linotype-bold-r-normal-*-10-*-*-*-*-*- 
iso10646-1

When the menus just open no crash happens. It also does not happen  
when I select an item from a menu I open from the menu-bar, as in this  
case, when I invoked the function to report a bug from the Help menu.  
The crash happens when I select a menu entry from a pop-up menu or  
close the pop-up menu after I have entered the next menu level. So it  
works to change text font size, but buffer selection or selection of  
another font or fontset from the next menu level lead to the crash,  
and just closing that menu unused as well.

GNU Emacs 23.1.93 complains the same way about the font, but it never  
crashes.

BTW, the X resource setting does not seem to work well: some other  
font is used, one, which is *always* available. I also remember that  
some update (bzr pull -v) mentioned a message that due to some changes  
in text handling of Xaw based menus (to display UTF-8 encoded text  
correctly) some X resources were changed. Where are these names  
recorded or documented?

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin9.8.0, X toolkit, Xaw3d  
scroll bars)
  of 2010-05-06 on Latsche.local
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version  
11.0.10800902
configured using `configure  '--without-sound' '--without-dbus' '-- 
without-pop' '--without-gconf' '--with-x-toolkit=athena' '--x- 
libraries=/usr/X11/lib' '--x-includes=/usr/X11/include' '--enable- 
locallisppath=/Library/Application Support/Emacs/calendar24:/Library/ 
Application Support/Emacs' 'CFLAGS=-g -H -Wno-pointer-sign -pipe -fPIC  
-fno-common -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -faltivec -fast' 'CPPFLAGS='  
'LDFLAGS=' 'CC=gcc-4.2' 'CPP=cpp-4.2' 'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/lib/pango- 
ft219/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/xft2/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/fontconfig2/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/sw/lib/freetype219/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/ 
share/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11/ 
share/pkgconfig''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
   TeX-PDF-mode: t
   auto-revert-mode: t
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   diff-auto-refine-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   display-time-mode: t
   desktop-save-mode: t
   delete-selection-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
y <C-down-mouse-1> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu>
<send-emacs-bug-report>

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities  
in our air and water that are doing it.