Subject: Re: bug#6127: 24.0.50; crash because of missing font for menus

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 23:22:43 +0200

Am 07.05.2010 um 09:01 schrieb Jan Djärv:

>
> I can't reproduce this.  Does it work if you remove that X resource,  
> or if you put in a font that exists?

Actually GNU Emacs always crashes! Also when the font is available  
*and* when I remove that X resource.

> You have to debug this.

The LOG file to that crash event contains

	Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
	Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000c0000017

It could be caused from the default X11 installation from (this time:  
almost) Apple (this problem comes up every few months, I think). So  
there is also a third party involved, particularly then GNU Emacs  
compiles and runs well with the X11 installation from MacPorts, which  
is up-to-date with development at Xorg. (Could I'm still awake in two  
hours...)

Debugging with GDB/GUD could go on: I have also Emacs.app, the non-X11  
windowing client.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Isn't vi that text editor with two modes... one that beeps and one  
that corrupts your file?
				– Dan Jacobson, on comp.os.linux.advocacy