Subject: Re: bug#6125: [PATCH] Fix indent of --help and --version

From: Zhang Sen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 08:29:14 +0800

On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 10:50 -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
> I'm hesitant to apply your patch.
> 
> I see --help output as having three columns - short options, long
> options, and description.  Many options have both short and long (in
> your example, -v and --show-nonprinting), some have short only (-u), and
> some have long only (--help).  I see nothing wrong with the alignment of
> the first two columns in the above example

Oops, sorry I missed this. I agree with your view.

> An even nicer fix would be to write a word-wrapping algorithm, that
> takes $COLUMNS into account, and formats all of the columns (short
> option, long option, and description) appropriately given the current
> screen width and maximum length of the long options column.  But that
> means a large rewrite of all of the usage() functions to call this new
> formatting system.

I will try to see, if this doesn't make the code unnecessarily complex.

Thanks, this issue can be closed.

- jesse