Subject: Re: [bug#61246] [PATCH v3 2/3] doc: Explain how to use local guix repositories.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 16:59:37 -0500

Hi André,

André Batista <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Maxim,
>
> sáb 18 fev 2023 às 12:35:32 (1676734532), [email-masked] enviou:
>>
>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>> Note that you can specify a local directory on the @code{url} field
>> above if the channel that you intend to use resides on a local file
>> system.  However, in this case @command{guix}@footnote{More accurately,
>> @command{git}, which Guix utilizes via the @code{libgit2} library.}
>> checks said directory for ownership before any further processing.  This
>> means that if the user is not the directory owner, but wants to use it
>> as their default, they will then need to set it as a safe directory in
>> their global git configuration file.  Otherwise, @command{guix} will
>> refuse to even read it.  Supposing your system-wide local directory is
>> at @code{/src/guix.git}, you would then create a git configuration file
>> at @code{~/.gitconfig} with the following contents:
>> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> I don't think it's more accurate to say it's @command{git}.

Then we could mention just @code{libgit2} in the footnote.  It is an
implementation detail, but one perhaps worth mentioning in this context
(otherwise a user could wonder "what does ~/.gitconfig have to do with
Guix?").

My point was that Guix alone couldn't care less about ~/.gitconfig, so
it seems confusing to me to mention it in relation to Guix.  It's really
a libgit2/git-specific thing, so should be mentioned somewhere, in my
opinion.

But now that you've pointed at our current style elsewhere, I guess your
original version is fine.  The good part about it is that by avoiding to
mention implementation details such as libgit2, it makes it less likely
that text will go stale as Guix evolves.

I've now applied the original, untouched.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim